According to type of power used, the actuators are mainly classified to three types, electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic actuators. According to type of motion, the actuators are classified to part turn, multi turn, and linear.
It is not easy to choose between electric actuators and other types since each type of motion has its own advantages and disadvantages and one type of power actuation is rarely a replacement for another. Using electric actuators will be your best choice when your application requires precision, accuracy, speed.
The advantages of using electric actuators :
- The energy is easier to find
- Safer and Cleaner-Electric actuators are not susceptible to leakages or contamination like pneumatic or hydraulic actuators. Therefore electric actuators are considered to be safer, cleaner and more convenient.
- Stable torque/force output, reliability increased
- Faster signal transmission
- Increased flexibility and synchronization options
- Easy set up and installation
- More accurate control of speed, position, torque, applied force and higher sensibility
- Lower noise
- Lower operation, maintenance, and replacement costs
- Lower energy consumption